Friday, October 27, 2017

Damn you Prednisone!!!!

About a week ago... maybe even two weeks ago - my right ear started to seem to be plugged.  I couldn't 'pop' it.  I tried putting drops in, I feel like I tried everything... 
By this past weekend, my ear hurt.  Like I was in pain.  It throbbed... and just plain hurt.

I ended up going to the chiropractor to get adjusted, and her mess with my ear...  She adjusted me, said that behind my ear seemed inflamed, cracked my neck really good and she even looked in my ear (according to her, it was clear/looked good)... and I was on my way.

By Tuesday night I hurt... and was pretty frustrated.  So I got into the doctor Wednesday afternoon.  I was certain that I had an ear infection... my ear was warm to touch and super sore, almost all around it. But both my ears looked good according to the doctor.  Clear, not red, nothing...  So the doc pushed around again... and came to the conclusion that my eustachian tube is inflamed.  Something I've heard of, but didn't know anything about it... 

The eustachian tube is a small canal that connects the middle ear to the back of the nose and upper throat (nasopharynx). Its purpose is to equalize the air pressure in the middle ear with the pressure outside it. Eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD) occurs when the tube fails to open during swallowing or yawning.

So when reading that and according to the doc - that's why I couldn't 'pop' my ear, and it felt plugged...  and then started to hurt.  Well in the end, doc put me on prednisone (steroid) to help with that inflammation.  He couldn't give me an antibiotic, cuz it's not infected... just inflamed.  :(

Prednisone and me are not friends.  I actually hate it, and even called to see if I could take something else.  They said I could just do Flonase spray in my nose, but he said that would take much longer to calm that tube down. 

So I'm fighting through the hot flashes, my neck and face feeling like they are 200 degrees, the nervous tension I have, the ability to NOT SLEEP.  Oh it's awful.  I can't wait for next Tuesday when I'm done with the pills...  :(  #crabbymomma

No comments:

Post a Comment