Friday, October 27, 2017

Christmas and stress!!! But look at these ideas!

So...  Christmas will be here soon, whether we like it or not!!  I've been reminded of this by my mother in law, cuz she's been asking for ideas for the kids!  I'm also reminded when at stores because holiday decorations are out!!!  Anyway, I will be doing my sister day of shopping in early November, which is so soooooon...  but regardless, I am one of those people that doesn't like that Christmas will be here soon!  It just stresses me out... it's stressful giving out gift ideas for the kids to so many people, and then trying to leave ideas for Ryan and I to buy for our own kids - or even Santa to give!!  (Cuz we still believe in Santa!)

When I was growing up - we got main/bigger items from our parents (and that wasn't much)... and then we got 2 gifts from our grandparents.  That's it!   Cousins didn't buy, Aunts/Uncles didn't buy for us, no one else!  I know times have changed, but as I get older/as my kids get older/and as I just would love to have more appreciative kiddos - I just don't think over-doing the holidays is necessary.  Just my opinion!  :)

BUT anyway --- I just happened to run across something today over lunch... and it was amazing to me.  Almost perfect for how I feel about Christmas.  Over the past couple of years, I've realized that Kayson especially is just growing up.  He doesn't do toys anymore.  He doesn't 'need' a lot, or even want a lot when it comes to gifts.  Him being almost 9 is a true fact that as your kids get older - they don't need/want much (unless it's electronics! - and he's not getting a phone!) 

I had the kids write out their 'wish lists' - and the lists are small.  Very small.  And to be honest, a few things on that small list just aren't going to be bought!!  With the lists being small, it just made me verify my initial thoughts anyway ---- "doing experiences or having them be better kiddos" just might be the route to go when it comes to the holidays.

Finally getting to the point of my post -- A gal that I follow asked the million dollar question that all us parents are thinking about... Her question:
"I am looking for ideas for experiences for my kiddos - ages 9 (boy), 6 (girl) and 3 (girl).  They have so many toys and am trying to come up with memorable experiences instead of 'not needed' gifts for Christmas... suggestions!?!?"

SO many responses - which is amazing.  Ryan and I are going to talk about these and hopefully do a few of them.  I think they are GREAT!
  1. Zoo, Science Center passes
  2. Movie tickets/gift cards
  3. Subscription to a magazine
  4. pottery painting gift cards
  5. Omaha Zoo/Omaha Children's museum
  6. Give a book each month throughout the year
  7. Guitar lessons, cooking classes
  8. Take kids to Great Wolf Lodge for a weekend of swimming and fun!
  9. Give them $50 - in $10 bills and ask them to spend it on someone else - like a random act of kindness 
  10. Civic Center passes/season tickets
  11. Santa express in Boone

I'm babbling... I know my kids are kids... and we'll obviously get them the main things they 'want'...  I think some of these other ideas are just more meaningful. 

And Ryan let me know the other day that Christmas music will be on our Sirus channel starting November 1.  WHAT!!??!  Before Thanksgiving?!?!  Oh dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment