Thursday, December 20, 2012

Meaning of Christmas

Today I worked at Valley West Mall wrapping gifts as my volunteer time for the year...  this is my second year, and I really like it.  With the blizzard hitting us last night and this morning, we were slow to start, but we put in about 6 hours.  I had a conversation with one of the girls about the 'true meaning of Christmas'.  I have been thinking about this a lot lately (and actually started a post earlier this week, but never really finished it... tonight I'm going to finish!)  

We agreed that it's sad that we get in such a huff and do the 'hustle & bustle' to get gifts bought and wrapped and ready to be torn open in seconds.  I do it, you do it, everyone does it!  When really - isn't the meaning of Christmas to bring true happiness to others?  so is that why we buy gifts -- to buy peoples love with gifts and make them happier that way?  I don't know.  Is it?  I'm torn.  The gal I had the conversation with agreed too. 

I'm not a very religious person (we don't got to church regularly, if at all), but I pray and know that God is there for us and will guide us the way he knows best.  So really, for Christmas we should be celebrating the gift of our Lord and follow his examples and live by his word.  

I know just a few weeks ago, I blogged about buying nice things for the people we love and care for and how we want nice things in return and for our home, etc...  which it's true, we do (I do), but now that the time is closer and I know deep down my children will be overloaded with gifts...  is that really right?  Is that the right thing to do?  Is it the right thing to 'teach' them?  I don't want my kids growing up thinking Christmas is only about how many gifts are in front of them from us and their grandparents and other family members...  I don't want them to be spoiled in that aspect.  I want them to be spoiled with love and communication and honesty... not materials. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Christmas (and my son's birthday).  I'm looking forward to being with our families, because really that's what's important.  

What are your thoughts?!

No comments:

Post a Comment