Wednesday, April 12, 2017

"Count the Kicks"

My friend, Jess, invited me and several other of her friends/clients/coworkers to join her at the Every Woman Counts luncheon today.  A group of five women (one being a very close friend of Jess') founded 'Count the Kicks' in 2009.  These five women had lost their babies (stillborn) in their 3rd trimesters.  They gathered and grieved together, and launched the program and app.  Since then, Iowa's stillbirth rate has decreased by 26%.  Amazing.  Iowa went from the 33rd WORST stillbirth rate in the county to the 3rd lowest while the rest of the county remained stagnant.  Again, amazing.  

So this program... and luncheon was a fundraiser and all the proceeds will be spread out to expectant mothers, doctors offices, clinics, etc.  

During the luncheon, a well-known author, Rachel Macy Stafford joined us and spoke about her life and making meaningful connections with people around you.  She's a busy mom and she talked about how she was a 'terrible mother' to her children because she was too 'busy' and was the 'make the to-do lists and stick to it' type of mom.  Her girls were scared of her because she was negative, she was overwhelmed and unhappy.  She's now living Hands-Free --- to let go of distractions, perfection and the pressure to grasp what really matters.   Her new book is called "Only Love Today" - going to be purchasing that!!

During her short time talking with us, I just felt the tears fall on my face and on all the women around me.  It was so touching... to know (and we all deeply know this), we aren't alone.  Every mother is overwhelmed - but life needs to just slow down.  We need to slow down for your kids.  Slow down for your family.  For your job.  For everything.  

I left that 2 hour luncheon overwhelmed with emotions.  I'm obviously still grieving the loss of Mom, but this hit home for me.  I've realized that we as a family are tough on our kids, tough on life around us, we put way too much pressure on things.  It's ok if we are a few minutes late.  It's ok if supper isn't perfect.  It's ok.  I'm going to TRY HARD to start letting go of things... I have to.  I've always said - "you just gotta pick your battles", and that's so true.  I have to be better with our kids.  I have to be more positive.  I have to give more love.  I do not want my kids growing up and thinking myself or Ryan were crabby all the time.  I'm done.  I love my kids more than anything in this world, and they are going to know it.  

Moving on!  It was a great couple hours today.  And to see that there were over 1,000 women there!  This was the 3rd annual luncheon, and they said the attendance just keeps growing and growing!  So awesome!  They have a new campaign going on called - #Save6000Babies


There were several others from the group that didn't get in the pic...  not sure where they were!  ha.


No comments:

Post a Comment