Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Home Momma... Let's go home"

This week Ryan is in Kansas for work... he did the drop off for daycare on Monday, but it's my turn yesterday, today and tomorrow. Yesterday, I wasn't prepared for Kayson to melt-down. We talked the entire way to daycare - looking for buses, talking about Riley, Hailey and other friends, talking about Dadda at work, etc... the second we pulled into daycare, tears were running down Kayson's face and he was upset. WHAT?!?! I was stunned, I was confused... I didn't know what to do or think. We talked a little and basically all I could get out of him was, "Let's go home Momma, home... peeese." Now - put yourself in my shoes - HEARTBREAKING!!!! Of course I would love to go home and take him with me!! We finally got into daycare... still sad and crying. I thought to myself once we get to his room and he sees his friends, he'll be fine... right? No - not at all... it was awful. We had several teachers coming in wondering what was wrong with Kayson (cuz he's always so happy at drop off)... of course, that then makes me feel even worse!!! After 15 minutes, the director just finally took him and they walked around outside of Kayson's room - distracting him while I left. It just made me sad... tears fell the second I walked out the door. About 20 minutes later, I got a phone call from the director telling me how he was fine now... it did take him about 10 minutes to calm down and want to go back to his room... the rest of his day was normal for him.

Moving on to this morning... I was prepared this morning for the melt-down. I prepared myself to see the tears and be ready to just leave (as I know it made it worse to stay that long yesterday)... we got to daycare and again, the second we pulled in, Kayson was upset. The dropoff was quicker today, however... as I left within 3 minutes... I checked in, and Kayson was fine... of course. I knew he would be.

Ryan and I talked this morning about it... and it's obvious that his routine was off. He's use to having Dadda take him (Ryan's been around for a couple months), that makes a difference. We also need to start saying that 'Dadda is traveling for work and will be back soon'... rather than just saying that Dadda is at work. Because then I will say I have to go to work - and Kayson may be thinking I won't be coming back... since Dadda doesn't come back for a couple days or a week. We didn't realize that Kayson would pick up on this so soon - he's obviously smart and knows what's going on... it's all about routine with kids... and he's off this week. MAYBE tomorrow will be better - maybe it won't. But at least we are prepared for this now...

Oh the things a parent has to think and worry about!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man :( That would be so tough! I would be crying too! Poor Kayson and mamma!

    ReplyDelete