Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sad Monday

Yesterday morning at work, we were informed that a co-worker and great guy had passed away Thursday evening/early Friday.  Jim Thomas was his name.  I have worked with him for about 3 years or so... actually worked closely with him on several big projects over the past year.  He was a very nice guy...  full of a positive attitude and was a talker!

Jim was diagnosed with cancer about 2 years ago.  He fought it and he fought it hard...  being out for months (nearly my entire pregnancy with Cora), and then was able to come back to work last summer.  Cancer 'free'.  He was still weak and his system had taken a toll, but he fought.  He came to work and worked hard.  It was amazing actually.  

He's had some random complications over the past 4 to 5 months, but the doctors took care of things and Jim always bounced back.  Two weeks ago, he wasn't feeling well (he was pretty open with all of us, as we were his 'family' here in Iowa - as his daughter is in Ohio and his son in Denver).  After some tests and some other things, he was scheduled for a colonoscopy.  We were told by him it was because he was having some blood in his stools... but the doctors weren't too concerned.  Last Wednesday he had his procedure... and went home.  Thursday he didn't show to work... no call, no email, nothing.  This was not like him. Another co-worker and Jim's leader called him - no answer.  Finally Thursday afternoon Jim answered his phone.  He explained he was cold and must have passed out.  The conversation went well...  asking questions, etc., and we felt he was doing ok.  He said he would call in the morning (Friday) if he still wasn't up for work.  

Friday morning came... no Jim, no nothing.  After many worries and phone calls...  we got our HR Security and Police involved, and Jim was found in his apartment Friday afternoon.  

We are being told Jim passed from 'natural causes'.  I personally find that hard to believe...  but an autopsy is being done, and I can only hope that his family will have answers soon.  We don't need to know, but his family needs to understand.  

Our department is grieving, just as his family is.  Jim was a great guy, and it makes me sick that he was alone when he passed and I can only hope that he didn't suffer.  I pray that he's feeling well now and watching over his kids and four grandbabies.  

When death happens, it really throws me off.  With Ryan's Grandpa passing, it tore us up.  I still think about Papa Dick everyday.  I get sad, I smile, I worry about Grandma Janis.   My emotions don't really know how to handle it all.  I think about Jim's family during this time of year...  knowing they were going to be able to see him this Thanksgiving and Christmas.  That makes me sad.  I get angry, I get quiet, I think, I stare...  it's just so amazing how your mind and body deal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment