Thursday, February 25, 2021

Kayson 6th Grade Winter/Spring Conferences

This week we had school conferences for Kayson.  Again just over Google Meets, which was nice and quick. 

English/Language Arts - Ms. Smith:  Good report, she enjoys having him in class, and he seems to enjoy English.  He has been working on reading the Harry Potter series, which he just finished #4.  I'm happy for him that he's found a book/series that he's interested in.   

Science - Ms. Keller: Overall good report, but she did have a complaint about Kayson 'messing around' with some friends lately.  Apparently he has been messing around with some iPad apps (school approved) when he shouldn't be.  We are obviously disappointed, but also know he's a kid.  We had a chat with him, and hopefully it won't be a problem again!

Side note - I asked Kayson who these friends are... and he told me their names, and I don't know them.  Which I'm learning is something I hate about middle school.  Middle school ends up being several elementary schools combining and we just don't know the kids or the parents.  That's hard - especially going from knowing all his friends in elementary.  I just hope and pray he's making the right/good decisions.  

Math - Mrs. Eddy: Again good report, he's secure on the math unit they are working on.  He asks questions and is making adjustments to what is needed to get the right answer.  Mrs. Eddy mentioned that he doesn't like to sit still (he stands in class), and it ends up being a distraction to class.  Their class is very social apparently, and Kayson is a part of that.  (Again, had a conversation with him, and he got upset, so he knows he's in the wrong).  

Social Studies - Ms. Harvey:  She reported 'good' for Kayson as well, but didn't have a ton to say.  She did say that he can get silly in class, but he has corrected himself over the past weeks. 


I'm finding these reports are frustrating.  But as I say that, I know he's a kid, I know he's 12 - he's changing, I get it.  I just want him to realize that school (during class) is not the time to be a distraction or 'get attention'.  He's there to learn.  I know he knows this, but if it continues, there will be some consequences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment