Sunday, July 20, 2014

Long Family Reunion

My family - My Mom's side (her maiden name is Long), had a week long family gathering this past week.  Why a week?!  Well - my Mom's twin sister and all of her family live in Arizona, so they made the trip worth their while - not just coming for a couple days.  Some of them arrived in Iowa Monday, the rest on Tuesday.  The 'gathering' started in Cedar Rapids, where my Mom's other sister lives.  They had a good time there - hanging out - doing a trampoline place for the kids - and canoeing at a lake.  

Ryan, the kids and I headed up to Clarion - as everyone was meeting there on Thursday.  We got settled, then the Arizona folks came out to the farm...  we played and played for about 4 hours straight!!  Tractors - 4 wheeler - running - and skipping rocks at the river.  NON STOP!  :)

Thursday night we all met up for pizza... then we let the kids play at the park for a couple hours.  Again, they all played so hard!!    We eventually got the kiddos home...  a late night (which ended up being the 'routine' for the couple nights we were home).  Cora was already all out of sorts!!!  :(

4 Wheeler rides!
Kayson & Luke became buddies!
Tractor pic!
Cora LOVES Cocoa!
The boys... and Cora...  skipping rocks.
We found this funny...  Hope & Eden matched Ryan.  Cora & I matched Greg.
The adults... playing.  :)

Friday was the official reunion.  We all met at the lake outside of Clarion - food, fun and just a day of being outside.  We had a shelter for a cooler place... and we could eat in there.  Ryan helped grill and he did great.  It was a beautiful day.


Kayson biffed it shortly after taking this picture...
Hope & me
Yes...  flexing our muscles.  :)
The Hardy's.  (Minus Jeff & Greg)
All the 2nd Cousins - with me (cuz Cora wouldn't let me put her down)
A little rock throwing... and fishing happened as well.
K and Ryan
Cora looks a lot like Jill (Jill was almost 2 1/2)
Ash and her favorite Aunts.  :)

Kayson did amazing all day long...  we barely saw him all day - he really had fun with his cousins, and 2nd cousins.  They just played all day.  He was filthy!   Cora had a rough day...  it was a lot of people she wasn't familiar with (who all wanted to talk and play with her) and she wasn't having it!  :)  We did get her to sleep for about 20 minutes, which obviously was not enough.  But as long as she was with me or Ryan, she really was happy...  but definitely a VERY long day for her.  I felt bad.  

We took a small break around 5 pm - went back to the farm and got cleaned up a little.  Then back to the park...  we had left overs, and then we went to Monette & Gary's (cousins) camper at the lake.  We just relaxed and hung out.  It was a beautiful night. 


Saturday we met up with everyone again...  had lunch, then took the kids swimming.  It was a chilly day (sun only popped out a couple times!).  All the Arizona folks were FREEZING!  Funny.  Following swimming, we all had some quiet time.  We finally got Cora to take a nap that lasted longer than 20 minutes!  Kayson had some quiet time as well.  Saturday night we had Ashley, Lindsay, Ryan and Eden watch all the kids at the park...  while the adults went out for pizza and beer.  It was nice to not have to 'deal' with Cora being on my hip and just being able to talk.  We had such a great time.  We got the kids... then all had ice cream, and we finally pulled out of Clarion around 8:30.  
Ethan, Ryan & K
Cora with my cousin's husband, Scott.  He has two boys... and I believe he would love to have a little girl.  :)
Most of the kiddos at the frozen yogurt shop!
We really had a great time.  I'm very lucky to have the family I do...  and blessed to have Ryan enjoy himself as well.   There was talk of getting the adult cousins together for a Vegas trip next year.  So we'll see if that gets planned!  I hate Vegas, but if I'm going to see my cousins from Arizona, I'll be there.  :)

We all got back to 'normal' today.  The kids slept til after 9 today (proven fact that they sleep best in their own beds!)  :)  And so do Ryan and I!  We've done this and that all day today - Kayson had a birthday party to attend, laundry was done, cleaned a little, picked up the dogs from the kennel... and finally bed for the kids.  I am hoping for a quick week!  :)  I'm already thinking about next weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures Janelle!!! It's always great (and important) to catch up with family. And to show off your cute kids of course. :)

    ReplyDelete