Sunday, February 13, 2022

Busy & Emotional Saturday

We were busy Saturday... able to sleep in first, which was amazing.  Kids slept til almost 9:00.  I tell you what, there is something real special about that!

Kayson had basketball up in Ames again, State tournament.  Cora had a birthday party to attend and of course didn't want to do the basketball thing, so thankfully one of the dance Mom's offered to take Cora, literally all day and into the night.  SO NICE.  

She had a great day - birthday party, fun with friends.  She was golden. 

Kayson's team did ok.  I say ok, because that's just how they are.  We are well aware, 7th grade boys (who aren't very big), make it hard for a great day of ball!  The team went 2 and 1, which seems great... but they weren't very happy about it.  

Kayson and Ryan got home, after I did - I left a little early to get Cora from the friends...  we got home, settled, and it was late.  Before we knew it, it was after 10:00.   I found Kayson in his room... which is becoming a little more common...  but asked him to come sit with me in my room.  Soon enough, we were chatting a little about basketball...  Ryan had expressed earlier that he was going to take a break from going to the game on Sunday.  So I let Kayson know that... and instantly he had tears rolling down his face.  Wow, that really breaks my heart.  We talked some more and cried together...  Ryan and I expressed that it's not that he doesn't want to be there, it's just frustrating. I get it.  But to a 13 year old, that's hard.  We talked... and soon K says "I'm just not that great and Dad wants me to be."  True.  Unfortunately.  It's hard... wow, that's hard.  He's not the strongest player, but that's ok.  He tries and he tries hard.  Sometimes things go really well, sometimes they don't.  

It was a tough evening just sitting together crying.  I apparently needed a good cry, cuz I let my tears flow and flow! Kayson did too.  We were both exhausted... soon it was bed. 

Sunday morning was good...  Kayson got a good nights sleep - and seemed happier.  I took him to the last game on Sunday... and it was a win.  He had two great shots (yes, only 2) but they were good and were points on the board.  

So this is "real life" I like to say.  Recently, real life has really hit us/me hard.  Having a 13 year old is hard... navigating life and navigating him is tough.  He's a great kid too... so I can't even imagine if we had trouble with school or anything else.  It's just hard.  I pray so hard that this is 'normal' and I can just be the best Mom to him through everything. 

A few pics.








No comments:

Post a Comment