Monday, February 28, 2022

All Iowa Attack season ending

The AIA season has come to an end.  As a parent, and a parent that's not a fan of basketball - I'm not sad about this!  :)
But it's been a really interesting and eventful season.  I'm soooo proud of Kayson for trying out for this competitive team and making the team.  That's huge.  It took a lot of guts and braveness to do that - to not make the team the year before, and just try again.  Super proud of him.

Unfortunately, the season wasn't a huge winning season.  Which for the team, the kids and even parents - that's not a ton of fun, right?  We have to be honest!  But I can say, I want to find the positive in the situation --- and there were several positives:
  • spending some pretty damn good quality time with his Dad.  Now I know Ryan is a huge basketball fan and wants K to be a great player...  I get that.  So Ryan may not have been a ton of fun all the time for Kayson, but they definitely had some solid time together.  :)  And they won't get that time back. 
  • Kayson made some good friends.  Some of these kids were kids he already knew, but with the season, I feel like they've become better friends.  They've done some things together outside of basketball practices/games, etc.  That's always nice to see. 
  • He was coached by some good guys.  I'm a fan of one of the coaches - even tho K didn't get him as a coach all the time, but when he did - that coach was a huge fan of Kayson, and I appreciate that.  
Sports in general are tough.  Unfortunately there is pressure to do your best - I get that, of course I want my kid to do his best...  and he does.  He tries hard and he is a good kid.  I've realized that Ryan and I are not raising a professional athlete - we are raising a 13 year old to be a respectful kid and a teammate and a kid that can grow into a responsible adult.  That's all I really want. 


No comments:

Post a Comment