Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Kids

Well, unfortunately, this week has not been a 'smooth' week in the parenting department (for me).  The kids have been testing me... pushing my buttons... not listening... and throwing fits.  I know, I know - it's normal.  But to me, it's so annoying.  Especially with Kayson - he's almost 7!!!!  He knows better... and it's not like we aren't clear on the rules. 
  • The iPad is the devil.  :)  Kayson loves it... and wants to be on it all.the.time.  So we put new rules around using it.  We talked about it last week - he actually helped lay the ground rules, so it wasn't just Ryan and I setting them. 
    • Tuesday and Thursday evenings - he can have the iPad for 20 minutes.  Homework has to be done first, no exceptions.  And then he can have it from time to time on the weekends, if time allows, etc.
    • Monday night we did our normal stuff - dinner, playing... then I have to step away and handle Cora (bath and bed).  I told Kayson he could do some puzzles or read while I got Cora taken care of.  While I'm reading to Cora (in her room... quiet time, no distractions), Kayson barges in WITH THE iPAD IN HIS HANDS, and says "I'm using this!!!!" and walks away.  I calmly told him he needs to put it up, it's Monday night... etc.  He does not care.  I continued putting Cora to bed, and I went into his room and took the iPad out of his hands.  Enter - the world ending  Why are rules so hard to follow???
  • I've spoke of this before, but when I do the drop offs at daycare for Cora - it does not go well.  We get into her classroom, she seems fine, then instantly she's sad and doesn't want me to leave.  Ok, I get it.  I tell her to "have a good day, I love you..." and I walk away.  Enter - the world ending.  She throws herself to the ground, or runs after me screaming and bawling.  It's terrible.  I don't coddle her, or stick around (I know that makes it worse), I simply tell her to have a good day and I'll be back later.  Bawling continues.  I feel bad for the teachers, I feel bad for Cora, I feel bad for all the other little boys and girls - watching her throw a fit.  Embarrassing, and frustrating at the same time.  And what tops it off - she doesn't do this for Ryan.  Perfect.
  • In general, they just don't listen.  Again, knowing this is all normal...  but after we've asked them to do something 2 or 3 times, I'm tired of repeating the request or even just a statement. 
Parenting is so hard.  So rewarding.  So much of a rollercoaster. 

1 comment: